Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Changes, changes, changes--"Plan Titanic"

September 19, 2016
My new zone--we're HUGE now
Hey Mom, thanks for your letter.  I read Spencer’s letter first and it was pretty scary.  It just said—DEATH.  Then said he didn’t want to talk about anything. So I was a little freaked out, but then I read everyone else’s letters from home and I understood that Lady passed away.  It’s so sad.  She was such a good dog.  I know she’s in a better place, and I’m glad to know she’s no longer suffering.  How’s Lizzy?  Hopefully she’ll live until I get home. 

Fadis Cogollo
This week we had so many good things that happened.  On Monday we had a FHE with Fadis Cogollo.  He’s living with a family that we have been teaching here.  They were less actives, but they have been rescued and there is a recent convert living in the house too.  So we’ve been over there teaching everyone for a while.  And this week, Fadis is going to be baptized.  We’re so excited about that! 
Family Home Evening
President’s new favorite phrase is: “Baptize Every Week.” The mission logo used to be, “Teach repentance and baptize converts.” And now it’s “We teach repentance and baptize converts EVERY week.” So we are to baptize and rescue all the time.  It’s an ambitious idea, but we’re going to do it, because that’s what he wants us to do.  It’s all about obedience on the mission.

I got my new companion this week, and after we got the apartment ready for the new area, we had FHE.  Then we got ready to send everyone off to Barranquilla for their new transfer.  Everyone in our zone had a change.  Every single senior companion left my zone…except me. I’m the ONLY senior companion here now.  So we have all these junior companions, most of them are now training new missionaries.  There are so many changes in the whole mission.  I’m here now with my new companion, Elder Compos. He’s from Argentina.  He’s super funny, really awesome.  And we are working together really well.

When we first had all the changes, I rode with Elder Matos to Barranquilla.  We left on Tuesday, we arrived there late Tuesday night.  On Wednesday we had training for the new missionaries, so we could be taught about everything that had changed in our mission, and find out what the new expectations were.  Then we had a little Leader’s Council.  Thursday we had a longer Leader’s Council. And then we took a bus to come all the way back home.  We arrived on Friday at 2:00 am in the morning.  On Friday we had a bunch of errands, papers to take everywhere, some contracts that had to be delivered, and we worked hard all day Friday and Saturday doing all that kind of stuff.  Our proselyting work week was pretty pathetic because we really weren’t here.  We only had like 5 lessons, which is terrible.  So we were pretty sad about that, but we are going to have a baptism this week, so we’re happy! 

On the way back, Elder Compos was joking in the bus.  He was talking about all the new expectations to baptize every week, and he said, “Here’s what we’re going to do.  We’ll call it ‘Plan Titanic!’ Women and children first.”  That’s his plan on how to baptize every week.  Haha.  Of course we’re just joking. But he had me laughing pretty hard.  Our real goal is to find solid worthy men to be priesthood holders.  That is our goal so we are ready for the new temple.

We have been working really good with the ward.  We do all we can with the members.  Our ward list has 1000 members listed on it.  We need a lot of help to clean it up and find out who is actually here so it is accurate.

Here is my companion Elder compos.  I’ll let him present himself:  “Buenos!” (Mas whispers—remember in English)  “Hi.  I’m Elder Compos from Argentina.  I have 21 years old.  I live in Buenos Aires.  I have one brother. I live with my Mom and my Grandma. I like the futbol soccer. My favorite food is the fish (feesh) . And I study English with my companion Elder Burk. I like Colombia.  I want a one day to go to the United States.”

I told him that if he comes to the United States maybe he can marry one of my cousins—one of the Allie’s or something.  Ha.  I used to try to get my companions to marry Courtney, but now she’s taken.  (Elder Compos is in the background saying—No, no, you’re crazy!) ha

Elder Matos was so sad to leave Valledupar.  But it’s actually to our advantage now that he is the secretary. Because now every time that we have a problem, we can call him.  Ha! I think it’s pretty funny.  I’ll probably call him every single day.

I hope you are all doing great.  And I hope you have a great week.

Elder Burk

We ride this bus a lot to our leader's training in Barranquilla--Elder Matos





No comments:

Post a Comment