Monday, October 26, 2015

Week number something...

This week we had Zone Conference. It was pretty awesome!  President Searle had us study in the Book for Mormon from Alma 32-34 about Faith. I also studied a lot this week in Moroni 7 about faith, hope, and charity. 

I learned that Faith isn't something that you have or you don't. (because every freaking person in Colombia has "faith") Faith is like a muscle. The more you use it, the bigger it gets. When you don't use it ,it shrinks. 

We can tell people we believe in God and not do much about it, but to God this means nothing.  We can tell ourselves we have faith and go to church and read the bible every day, but again "esto no salva".  After explaining this about a million times in the past couple of months it's really been pounded into my head that faith is to believe with actions. Creencia con obras. (santiago 2:17-24)  

Your faith is always moving.  It might be getting stronger or weaker, that  depends on your actions.  This really comes down to what you do every single day that you live.  If we are really thinking clearly in this life, we should be trying to be more like Christ every single day.  Just like building muscle, we are building Christ like attributes.  When we take a day off, or when we do something we shouldn't, it's like skipping a workout.  You mess up your routine.  

My question, that I hope you can ask yourself every single week until you die is:  
"Am I more like Christ this week then I was last week?"   
"Do I have more charity for the people in my life today then yesterday?"  
If the answer is no, then we are not progressing.  We're regressing.  This didn't start when you were born and it won't end when you die.  "I'm trying to be like Jesus" really is what we should be able to say at the end of every single day.  So ask yourself this week.  Write it down.  Make a plan.  Then ask for help.  I promise He will help you. 

This week we got asked by one of the assistants to help out with a situation.  There's an Elder named Elder Flores.  He left from Barranquilla to serve his mission in Bolivia in June.  But because he's a costenio and has never left the coast, he got really sick.  The cold messed him up pretty bad and after three months he had to come home. But they didn't find anything wrong with him when he got home.  So now, after two months, he wants to go back into the field.  They need to test him out to make sure he's ready.  So he's in a trio with us!  We call him Hermano Flores, because he's not set apart right now, but he's pretty much a missionary.  He lives 40 min away in another area, but will live with us for the next 2 weeks, or so, to prep for his return to his mission. 

We're super excited for him!  I'm pretty sure he'll get to go back out.  The coolest part is that he got baptized 1 year and 8 months ago!  He entered the mission before the missionary that baptized him went home! Crazy. 

The blue book is true, hallelujah! 
Gloria a dios. Amen.
Elder Burk

We're a trio!  Meet Elder Flores.  Elder Cavero and I get to serve with him. 

My zone
--------------------------------------------
Mason, 
Check out this great picture of Ryan Dowdle in Africa. Isn't it Awesome?! All the kids are trying to touch his hair. He's like a super star! 
Mom
Mason's good friend Ryan Dowdle, serving his mission in Uganda.
Mason:
hahahahahahahahahahahahhha thats awesome!!!!!!!  There couldn't be a better place for the Dowdler!
--------------------------------------------

Phillip Burk

5:01 PM (3 hours ago)
to Brinley
Hey Brinley, That's awesome that your doing so many fun things!  Dad looks kind of funny dressed like Gru!  I can totally imagine his Russian accent!  I hope you like the cd.   I haven't gotten your letter from the Primary, but I got three letters from Grandma Nina.  She even sent me a copy of a patriarcal blessing from our Great Grandpa Callister from 1844!  Pretty cool. I love you Brinley!  Thanks for writing to me.  Mas

---------------------------------------------

Dear Elder Cavero, 

We are so happy to hear about Johana's baptism.  What a great day! 
We hope her family is happy.  Maybe her husband will listen to the lessons now.  I hope you can teach him about the gospel.  It would be so wonderful to have the whole family baptized, and on their way to the temple.  

How do you like being a district leader?  Is it hard?  I bet you are doing a great job!  

We pray for you and Elder Burk.  We know you are working hard for the Lord.  Always listen to the spirit.  It will guide, teach, and protect you on your mission.

Have a wonderful week!
Love, 
Sister Burk

Sergio Cavero

4:41 PM (3 hours ago)
to me
Hi Sister Burk ... I like stay in the mission.The husband was a rebel person but now he listen the gospel .He come to church this sunday and maybe he will be baptized ..Sorry for my english i dont now write better but your son learn me so much.Well .Have a good week.Bye . 

ÉLDER CAVERO 
  Misión Colombia Barranquilla

No comments:

Post a Comment